8–10 servings | Prep Time: 1 hour | Total Time: 12 hours (includes overnight marination time)
Goes well with: Coleslaw, macaroni & cheese, bread-and-butter pickles, baked beans, or any other of your favorite sides!
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Perfectly Cajun by Krispy Krunchy® SEASONING & MARINADE
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 pork shoulder (pork butt) roast
- 2 large yellow onions, cut into thick rings
- 1 bottle of sweet honey barbecue sauce
- 1 pack of Hawaiian sweet hamburger buns
- In a large bowl, mix light brown sugar, seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, and ground black pepper. Place the pork in the bowl with the mixture, rubbing the mixture all over the pork shoulder to thoroughly coat all surfaces of the meat. Tightly wrap the pork in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 300° F.
- Using non-stick cooking spray, lightly grease the bottom of a large pot or baking dish. Place onion rings in a single layer on the bottom of the pot or dish. Place the pork on top of the onion rings, fat side up. Loosely cover with aluminum foil and place in oven.
- Roast approximately 5-7 hours or until pork is fork-tender and falling apart. Remove from oven and let rest for 5 minutes. Place pork on a cutting board and shred the meat using two forks. Chop the roasted onions.
- On the stovetop over medium heat, place a pot with ¼ cup of water, onions, and the pork pan drippings and cook for 10 minutes. Add ½ cup of barbecue sauce (adjust the amount of barbecue sauce to your taste) and stir to heat.
- Serve on hamburger buns and enjoy!